Monday, October 17, 2011

Vodka and Genetic Engineering


I am pleased to welcome K. M. Ruiz to the blog! She writes fantastic traditional style Sci Fi.. Please welcome her..


bio:
K.M. Ruiz lives in California with a cat or two for company and the occasional earthquake. She earned a B.A. in English (concentration in Creative Writing) and a minor in American Indian Studies from San Francisco State University. She likes her movies loud, her music louder, and when not writing, can be found traveling, looking for new ideas.

Tell us a little about yourself.
Random facts? I can do that! To start with, my taste in movies rivals that of teenage boys—the more explosions and gun fights, the better. I am definitely not a romcom girl. I have five bookcases in my apartment and own more books than anything else, including booze. I’m little, but I’m kind of loud, which either amuses or horrifies my friends, depending on the situation. I used to have 15 piercings on my head; now I only have 12. I had to give up the ones on my face when I changed jobs. I’m currently obsessed with Hawaii Five-0 and White Collar. I have inflicted this obsession on many people in my life and turned them into converts.


Why science fiction?

I grew up reading and watching sci-fi. As much as I love fantasy in all its forms, I love sci-fi a little more. There’s something about the possibilities in that genre that could impact real life which always made me sit back and think, that’s so awesome. Also, spaceships are just cool. I still want one.

How did the idea come about?

Through a mix of my love for comics along with my personal experience with incurable disease, the stigma that comes with it, and the science within the medical field. Kind of a depressing mix, I know.

MIND STORM and TERMINAL POINT deal with the fallout of war and societal segregation based along genetic lines. The overall story has gone through several phases over the years, from super comic book-y in earlier incarnations to the more gritty version that got published. I wanted my characters to have biologically believable powers that had limits. Being a psion in my stories means you’ve got a disease that kills you young if the environment doesn’t kill you first.


Every disease affecting humans today has side-effects and a good many diseases end up killing us. I didn’t want to give any of the characters an easy way out with their powers because not every disease gets cured. In my stories, when a psion uses their powers, it eats away at their own lifespan. I thought it was better if there were severe consequences when it came to using what the disease gave them and what everyone was willing to give up or not give up for their personal goals. Or maybe I’ve just got a cruel streak a mile long when it comes to my characters.

Are you a dog or a cat person?

Cat person. Definitely a cat person. I’ve got two: a neurotic calico who lords over the apartment named Firefly and a sweet, gentle, part Maine Coon named Bones who basically rolls over in abject submission whenever Firefly demands it. Bones is bigger than Firefly but she is definitely the one in charge.

Favorite drink?

Ooooh. Are we talking alcoholic or regular? Because if it’s regular, I subscribe to the religion of coffee on a daily basis. If it’s alcohol, I’m a whiskey and vodka girl, but not at the same time. Give me a nice Irish whiskey any day and I am golden.



If you could sit down with 5 people living or dead who would they be?

If they’re dead, would they come back as zombies? I think I’d have to go with Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin (because I’m in love with all things space and I’d really love to hear from them in person about their impression of landing on the Moon), Michael Whelan (because I love his art), my grandmother (because I never got the chance to really know her since she died when I was so young), and finally J. J. Abrams (because I would kill for a look at the next Star Trek movie script).

What's next for K.M.?

I’m working on a new novel that I don’t want to say too much about because I don’t want to jinx myself or anything. So, uh, I’ll just say I am continuing my daily writing habit while mainlining coffee to spare everyone else’s sanity.


Thanks so much for letting me stop by!

We are glad to have you!

you can follow K.M on twitter @K.M.Ruiz.



No comments:

Post a Comment